Friday, April 5, 2013

Our DREAMY anniversary

Today is our 10th anniversary.  It is hard to believe that the Lord has already blessed us with 10 years together.  I know for some that is a long time, but pales to others.  John's grandparents have been married 70 years now!!  But I very vividly remember our 1st anniversary when we stayed at a beautiful Bed & Breakfast out in the country.  As we ate breakfast on the porch, we discussed what we would be doing in 10 years and where we would spend our 10th wedding anniversary.  We talked about returning to the Canadian Rockies to relive where we had a wonderful 2 week honeymoon.  Somehow though, we didn't make it back! Rather than relaxing in the mountains, we are working on the mission field.

I dreamt of going to the beautiful snow capped mountains of western Canada....
Instead we are in lush, green, hot, mosquito infested Africa.

I dreamt of spending the week enjoying time together, just the 2 of us....
Instead, we have spent the week taking care of sick kids and each other!

I dreamt of waking up under the soft fluffy down comforters of the historic Lake Louise Resort...
Instead, I woke up kicking off the sheets and turning up the fan trying to survive the heat!

I dreamt of a lazy morning with breakfast in bed.....
Instead, we woke up with Aiden in between us, asking for his "break-pest".

I dreamt of walking the streets of Jasper hand in hand, window shopping & sipping hot chocolate...
Instead, we were tramping through the crowded, fishy smelling market to buy fabric and fruit while holding hands...with the kids!

I dreamt of meandering drives through the mountains and taking in the breathtaking scenery....
Instead, we were navigating the pot-hole filled, bumpy roads trying not to hit, a goat, a sheep, or a stray chicken while we drove 45 minutes to the nearest "nice" restaurant.

I dreamt of quiet candle-lit meals gazing at each other.......(ok, maybe not really gazing! It has been 10 years after all!)....
Instead, we had lunch with all the kids, washed faces and sticky hands, made several potty trips and shared our food!



I dreamt of gold & silver embossed Hallmark cards that just perfectly expressed our sentiments....
Instead, we both made each other cards out of the kids construction paper, ribbons and stickers.

I dreamt of hours together, just me and John looking back and reflecting on 10 years together....
Instead, we spent hours together...with the kids talking about all sorts of kids things!

Was it the 10th Anniversary that I had dreamed of?  Definitely NOT!

Was it how I envisioned spending the day with the Love of my Life?  Definitely NOT!

Would I change a thing about it???  Absolutely NOT.....

Because even though I dreamed of something else, this is exactly the place and the way the GOD chose for us to celebrate and I am thankful for that.  I loved every minute of it.   And I happen to think, it was a pretty memorable 10th Anniversary after all!






No comments:

Post a Comment

My family

My family