Saturday, November 24, 2012

" I don't like this, Mommy!!"

Sometimes in missions, the little people get overlooked. And by little people, I mean the kids. There has been so much to do, pack, and organize over the last few months that I sometimes forget that I am not the only one that is stressed and affected by all this!

This morning, I had a good reminder of the effect that all this "missions stuff" is having on the little people in my life. My brother, sis-in-law and their 3 kids came in last night to see us before we leave for Togo. The kids all had a great time spending the night together and us grown ups had a great time talking! This morning the kids all played outside in the leaves....then the hard part, the goodbyes.



When I think of all the goodbyes the kids have had to say, it breaks my heart. Over the last year they have said goodbye to so much but through it all the Lord has given them such grace. A couple weeks ago, they said goodbye to their Iowa cousins, aunts & uncles. Thanksgiving day they said good bye to their North Carolina baby cousin and grandparents. And then this morning they had to say good bye to their Virginia cousins, aunt & uncle.

Aiden wanted to go with them. Olivia kept hugging Milyah and saying, "It's okay. We'll see you in a couple weeks." And Eliza just cried and kept saying, "I don't like this Mommy! I don't like saying goodbye!!"

I cried too. And held her. And tried to help her be thankful that we have family that we will miss and even though we are sad we can thank God for our family....but in the eyes of a 6 year old, goodbyes just stink!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My family

My family