Thursday, February 2, 2012

December 7th

I met the sweetest lady. She had heard of our story and contacted me about some clothing for John. You see, her husband passed away just 2 years ago and she had kept all his things. She told me she just had not been ready to let go. But when she heard about the fire, she said she new why the Lord had her hold onto her husbands things. She wanted to give her sweet husbands things to my husband. She had debated telling their little boy (I think he is 4) about giving his daddy's things away, but decided she needed to tell him. When she did, this sweet little boy said, "Mommy, I think God wants you to give Daddy's clothes to him." What an amazing little boy. I know his daddy would be proud of him.

We met in the parking lot of my church. As we hugged, she told me, "I am so sorry for your loss." But I couldn't help but think that my loss is so small compared to hers. She lost her spouse, her love, her life partner...I can not imagine that pain. When she opened the van door and I saw all her husbands nice things, I couldn't help but think that she was doing something I could not do. My sentimentality would get the best of me. I would want to hold onto everything last thing of John's if something were to happen to him. I imagined the pain she must have felt as she gently took his clothes out of the closet in which they had hung the last 2 years, knowing that she was giving away his things. Even in her loss and pain, she reached out to some one else who was hurting and in need. What a great example of Christ. I thought about Christ on the cross, reaching out to the thief beside him. And about Christ reaching out to his mother to make sure she was cared for after He was gone. Even is His great pain, He was aware of those hurting around Him.
Lord, in the midst of my suffering and sadness, help me to look beyond my own pain and trials. Help me to see the needs of others and be willing to sacrific of myself to ease another's burden. Help me to be like Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My family

My family